07/02/18 11:54 AM Cashier #52647164 Store Canyon RD Puyallup, WA

I'm not by any means under 18 years old I am a senior who went into rite aid to purchase a few things one was a lighter. The cashier was rude and in my opinion gave me a very hard time she told me she had to see my ID and then she said take it out of your wallet .

this was only a lighter I wasn't buying cigarettes a lighter and some band aids. All I can say is Rite aid just gave Walgreens a new customer I will never go back there, I have looked up the laws in WA and don't see any on lighters and seniors!

Product or Service Mentioned: Rite Aid Cashier.

Comments

Please don't take it out on the cashier who is only doing what management is forcing them to do every customer is required to show Identification for every tobacco or related purchase. It is programmed in the register and they are threatened with termination if they don't do it.

@Former store manager

As someone who used to work at a Rite Aid, this is accurate. It didn't matter if you were clearly over 18, you always had to pull out your ID.

There was actually someone at my store who was fired because they didn't ask a woman for her ID when she bought cigarettes, and she was clearly over 18. She reported it to corporate (she was one of those spies that comes in to make sure you're following policy) and the cashier was fired. Also, my store is in PA, and we don't have any laws that always require ID, even if the person looks over the legal age.

It's a Rite Aid policy, and it does suck. I'm so glad I don't work there anymore.