2.9K views

Just got ripped off by them automatically rounding off to nearest dollar for some charity of theirs. Did not even ask me first like stores usually do and then refused to return my money when I realized they over charged me.

I have three charities I give to every year that I trust, I do not appreciate them automatically taking my money like that, and rude on top of it all.

Imagine if all stores started to do that! I will never shop there again plenty of other drugstores around!

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Jul 31, 2014.

Comments

Same thing happened to me. I called and spoke to manager and he said that when you swipe your card you can push button to have your change go towards charity.

I told him no one asked me if I wanted to donate.

What a rip off. You should always be asked 1st.

I just realized about that too. I guess I never paid attention to it before.

I was trying to remember if I was even asked if I wanted to donate, but I wasn't. May be .15 cents sounds like not much and I wouldn't mind shared them or even up to a dollar "if I was asked ". Other stores do that and I kindly accept.

I believe this is a robbery, they are stealing from customers because honestly I never heard the name of this charity not a place that gets the benefit of it. We should file a law suit.

I suspect that the way this scam works is this: Rite Aid rounds up the total to the nearest dollar. All the money they skim this way goes into an account - bonds, mutual funds, whatever - and sits there for a year drawing interest.

At the end of the year, they take the equivalent amount - minus a substantial "administrative expense", no doubt - and deliver it to said charity. This is how these things work.

In NO WAY did Rite Aid decide to be magnanimous; this is just a scheme to wring every last penny of profit that they can.I won't be party to it, and I don't appreciate the monkeyshines. Hello CVS!

Yup, they have done this to me twice! I am not shopping there anymore either.

CVS just gained a new customer and its the same distance. Bad, bad, business.

I am wanting to start a class action lawsuit against them. Think of all the elderly folk who shop there and are barely making ends meet and the way they put it way down by the tax is doubley deceptive.

to Tish Thames #1496521

Today I bought 4 cans of 99 cent cat food. Only as I was walking to my car did it dawn on me that $5 seemed a little high.

I checked the slip: after tax, they rounded up 76 cents!! That's almost a quarter of my whole purchase.I'm lucky, I have extra funds. (That being said, I give a lot to charities of my own choosing.) Many people are struggling and don't have extra.This is corporate theft, and it infuriates me.And you can't yell at the poor minimum-wage clerk, or at the barely minimum-wage manager.

You know they're being ordered to do this by their bosses. RiteAid, I'm done.

I’ve been with Rite Aid since it started Kid Cents. You HAD to opt in.

At no point did they just auto apply kid cents. It’s been going on for 3 years. Your just noticing? Maybe you forgot.

We can’t ring up a customer without thier answer input on the keybad. Yes, all the time, or yes, just this time or no. Why didn’t u look at the receipts every time you shopped there? We have an opt out button on the register.

You have to ask to be opt out. Can’t read your mind. The charity is your districts local charity or Rite Aid children’s charity choice or choose your own.

Go to kidcents.com and enroll where u want it to go and get your tax deductions form. It’s not a Scam.

to Chatty #1445318

Actually they automatically take it I was never once asked. I'm a single mom of 2 so every penny matters...

I just noticed last evening that they have been doing this to me as well. I called and they said to bring the receipt back and they would refund.

They also said they opted me out of it for future. I told them I have ALL my receipts and I am going thru them and they are going to refund me every penny. This is deceitful, fraudulent and they just lost me as a customer.

I too can't wait for the class action law-suit. Bad business and I know I never signed up for it!

Sacramento, California, United States #1329318

I agree with many of the comments.we are a family of two and never were asked if we wanted to round up for kids cents but here we are.we were told by the clerks it couldn't be in undone by them.finally a clerk in another town gave me a number to call and finally got unenrolled.i too feel this is probably a good charity but feel the way rite aid went about it is fraud,and i am waiting for the class action.i think that is the only way they will learn to do it the right way.we give to a lot of charities and will continue to but it needs to be our choice not. riteAids.......it is plain fraud the way they did it and never did they say" I am sorry",just we must of enrolled when it is obvious by the many other comments that many people had the same experience.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States #1301744

They have been ripping me off too.

Garner, North Carolina, United States #1262316

Everyone here is so dumb...yeahe, it asked you on the keypad, and yeah you hit "yes, every time" instead of "yes, just this one time" or "no." YOU made a mistake.....YOU weren't paying attention and hit the wrong button...or maybe ur husband or kid who had the same card as you hit the wrong button one time. Take a freaking Xanax and stop complaining. I'm sorry the cashier or manager had to deal with *** things like this.

to Anonymous New York, New York, United States #1344280

Sorry dingus, customers are not asked to answer yes or no on key pay.

to Anonymous #1411736

Inuse a chipped card so your the dummy

to Anonymous #1430827

I was not asked. Apparently my husband did OK it last time he shopped there and never let me know.

He probably thought it was a one-time thing. I am going to check with the laws in my state, as it may not be legal to do without asking each customer, each time. People have a right to complain (just like you are doing right now about them).

No need to get all nasty. I'm sorry people have to deal with your belligerence.

Melbourne, Florida, United States #1259873

This is a scam. Plain and simple.

We don't know where the money is going and we are not agreeing to pay into it. Did you read all 100 pages of the terms and conditions on every single thing you buy or download? Give me a break.

I can't wait for the lawsuit, which is coming soon. That's going to take a lot of money out of your little scamming hands.

Melbourne, Florida, United States #1259871

This is happening in Michigan and they are claiming YOU signed up for it. Their explanation is that you must have "accidentally" hit the button that gives them the authority to charge you for kidcents on every purchase you make, without consent.

This is the most brazen scam I've ever seen from such a large retailer and chain.

If there is a lawsuit I want in. I've had to "opt out" of this scam multiple times already, and I know I never agreed to it.

San Juan Capistrano, California, United States #1205265

Rite Aid used to ask at the point-of-sale whether a customer wanted to donate to their Kidcents charity. If you say yes ONE TIME, it then automatically continues to put it on your purchases without your permission.

So if you go in a hundred times a year, they've scammed over $100 bucks off of you! It's a complete gimmick! I called the store and they told me I had to go into the store to change the automatic charitable donation.

So I'm going to do it.

BTW, I give to many charities and donate a lot of my time volunteering for causes that are dear to my heart. However, having Rite Aid force their charity onto my purchases is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Port Chester, New York, United States #1193866

This happened to me to but I thought that at one time maybe I agreed to it but couldn't remember doing so. There have been plenty of times when grocery stores, such as the Jimmy Fund, will ask if you would like to donate a certain amount and I often do but I have been more Leary and wiser over the years and like to investigate the organization first. This is not right for them to do- our Government is bad enough!!!

While what they did was wrong, telling you "no" is not the same as being rude.

Same happened to me today..will never shop there again..really bad business practice