3.8K views

Just got ripped off by them automatically rounding off to nearest dollar for some charity of theirs. Did not even ask me first like stores usually do and then refused to return my money when I realized they over charged me.

I have three charities I give to every year that I trust, I do not appreciate them automatically taking my money like that, and rude on top of it all.

Imagine if all stores started to do that! I will never shop there again plenty of other drugstores around!

Comments

All you are dumb as *** The prompts on the keypad say not at this time, this transaction only, all future transactions. If you weren't fat pigs ready to eat your jumbo sized candy bar you would be paying attention.

@PissedConsumer1895663

If you read their responses you would see the issue is they were not asked. The round off transaction was instant.

They had no chance to say no. While it could be that the case is the OP did not see that she had a choice, the fact that other people have the same issue makes me believe her.

This just happened to me too. Rite Aid in Brooklyn.

I want them to produce proof that these donations are going fully to charity. If that is the case, I am willing to let it go. However, from what I've read, Rite Aid is not exactly known for its philanthropy and charitable ways. From what I've read, a sizable portion of our donations goes to Rite Aid as a processing fee.

So, customers can get duped into donating to this "charity", but Rite Aid isn't donating a dime. They are using it to profit themselves. Not to mention, have you ever heard of this "charity" before? Who runs it?

Is it reputable? How long has it been around? Why not donate to a charity with name recognition like Rite Aid possesses? This is all very sketchy.

It's time to expose these thieves. I doubt HIGHLY that this Rite Aid in East NY is cutting a check to " KidCents" or whatever the *** its called.

We need to fight. They make enough off of their overpriced drugs.

The customer alone is responsible for signing up for round up, customer can also opt out! why blame others for your choices?! The round up proceeds don't go to rite aid, they go towards kids in need!!

RITE AID: THEY ARE THE KING OF UNEDUCATED RUBES!

@PissedConsumer1817655

says the rube!

The solution is to ask a cashier to have a manager to pull you out of the program. Us the cashiers have a limited amount of control over who signs up for it, I can’t count how many people hit “donate always” without reading all the way through, when there was a “donate once” button right underneath.

In addition, the store can’t do anything about it once the sale is proceeded, you need to call corporate to get a refund on the donation. Remember: “Other Functions, KidsCents Opt-Out, Unenroll.” And some cashiers are afraid to ask about the KidsCents donations because they’ve been blamed in the past for it despite not being the ones to sign the customer up.

Same happened to me - what a scam

They have done this to me three times now and I’m pissed! How can they take our money without asking?!

Happened to me today! Thank god I noticed this time because it was a small purchase and it was 0.75 more than it should’ve been.

I walked back in and the cashier told me there was nothing she could do and that I must’ve pressed “donate” then she changed it to, “you must’ve opted in at another store”. I never donate to charities unless I know where the money is going and that they’re non-profit.

They’ve been scamming me for nearly a year now and I am financially struggling. Ridiculous!

THEY GOTCHA COMING IN AND THEY GOTCHA GOING OUT! THEIR VERY NAME MAKES THEM SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF RUBES! IT SHOULD BE "RIGHT AID" NOT "RITE AID".

My husband just made 2 purchases at Rite Aid this morning and afternoon and the same issue both times. Not only did the cashier say the same thing about "Maybe you pressed Kidcents accept and wasn't paying attention", he refuse to issue a refund, said he did not know how to remove the feature from our account, he also went as far as to say "Do you have a wife?

Maybe she set it up that way". Ummmmm, WRONG! I stopped shopping at Rite Aid when they stop printing Rite Aid Rewards.

Their prices are way too high compared to other stores and their updated reward card system is completely worthless. I go to CVS regularly now and occasionally Walgreens.

Same thing happened to me. I called and spoke to manager and he said that when you swipe your card you can push button to have your change go towards charity.

I told him no one asked me if I wanted to donate.

What a rip off. You should always be asked 1st.

I just realized about that too. I guess I never paid attention to it before.

I was trying to remember if I was even asked if I wanted to donate, but I wasn't. May be .15 cents sounds like not much and I wouldn't mind shared them or even up to a dollar "if I was asked ". Other stores do that and I kindly accept.

I believe this is a robbery, they are stealing from customers because honestly I never heard the name of this charity not a place that gets the benefit of it. We should file a law suit.

I suspect that the way this scam works is this: Rite Aid rounds up the total to the nearest dollar. All the money they skim this way goes into an account - bonds, mutual funds, whatever - and sits there for a year drawing interest.

At the end of the year, they take the equivalent amount - minus a substantial "administrative expense", no doubt - and deliver it to said charity. This is how these things work.

In NO WAY did Rite Aid decide to be magnanimous; this is just a scheme to wring every last penny of profit that they can.I won't be party to it, and I don't appreciate the monkeyshines. Hello CVS!

Yup, they have done this to me twice! I am not shopping there anymore either.

CVS just gained a new customer and its the same distance. Bad, bad, business.

I am wanting to start a class action lawsuit against them. Think of all the elderly folk who shop there and are barely making ends meet and the way they put it way down by the tax is doubley deceptive.

@PissedConsumer1425714

Today I bought 4 cans of 99 cent cat food. Only as I was walking to my car did it dawn on me that $5 seemed a little high.

I checked the slip: after tax, they rounded up 76 cents!! That's almost a quarter of my whole purchase.I'm lucky, I have extra funds. (That being said, I give a lot to charities of my own choosing.) Many people are struggling and don't have extra.This is corporate theft, and it infuriates me.And you can't yell at the poor minimum-wage clerk, or at the barely minimum-wage manager.

You know they're being ordered to do this by their bosses. RiteAid, I'm done.

I’ve been with Rite Aid since it started Kid Cents. You HAD to opt in.

At no point did they just auto apply kid cents. It’s been going on for 3 years. Your just noticing? Maybe you forgot.

We can’t ring up a customer without thier answer input on the keybad. Yes, all the time, or yes, just this time or no. Why didn’t u look at the receipts every time you shopped there? We have an opt out button on the register.

You have to ask to be opt out. Can’t read your mind. The charity is your districts local charity or Rite Aid children’s charity choice or choose your own.

Go to kidcents.com and enroll where u want it to go and get your tax deductions form. It’s not a Scam.

@PissedConsumer1417638

Actually they automatically take it I was never once asked. I'm a single mom of 2 so every penny matters...

#1620094
@PissedConsumer1417638

This is not true. I never signed up and when I was there yesterday, after putting in my phone number there was nothing else to push.

They rounded up anyway. This is sneaky and wrong.

I am a charity supporter but only on my terms and with my researched charities. I will not shop there again and I would happily join a class action lawsuit.

Rite Aid Reviews