3.3K views

Just got ripped off by them automatically rounding off to nearest dollar for some charity of theirs. Did not even ask me first like stores usually do and then refused to return my money when I realized they over charged me.

I have three charities I give to every year that I trust, I do not appreciate them automatically taking my money like that, and rude on top of it all.

Imagine if all stores started to do that! I will never shop there again plenty of other drugstores around!

Comments

#1193866

This happened to me to but I thought that at one time maybe I agreed to it but couldn't remember doing so. There have been plenty of times when grocery stores, such as the Jimmy Fund, will ask if you would like to donate a certain amount and I often do but I have been more Leary and wiser over the years and like to investigate the organization first. This is not right for them to do- our Government is bad enough!!!

While what they did was wrong, telling you "no" is not the same as being rude.

Same happened to me today..will never shop there again..really bad business practice

Same thing happened to me it's been going on for a long time. I didn't realize it till yesterday,,cannot believe that sort of Scam , so I got online waited 18 minutes to update out of that *** needless to say I'll be going to Walgreens or CVS to *** with right aid.!!!

I work at rite aid. I just want to clear up a few things .A rite aid associate cannot opt anyone in they don't give us that much control.

We can't even void an item over ten dollars without manager approval. Kid cdnts did two waves of offering the customers to opt in. One when it started and one recently. All cashiers have an option in one if the tabs on their register to opt a customer OUT of kidcents at their request.

If they don't know where the button is ask them to get someone who does. Kid cdnts can be refunded just like anything else using the barcode on the brochure. We are everday people just like you. We don't wake up in the morning looking for ways to take peoples money.

If you came in to my store with any of the complaints above I would take care of you.

So should any rite aid store. All this aside kidcents is a great program with the overhead paid for by us and tax deductible

You are an ***. On the sigcap where you slide your card it asks you.

You make the choice not the associate. Learn to read. Plus you can actually visit the website and tell kidcents where to donate. It's sad that you would want a refund because you were "over charged" because you didn't read the screen.

This refund is a donation.

Don't worry or feel bad that you took food and medicine out of a child's mouth. Enjoy the change you saved and try not to worry about the children you decided not to help.

@Anonymous

Don't get on your high horse about "it's just a donation." Plenty of people donate and there obviously must be some sort of issue if thousands of people "don't remember opting in." I donate to charities ON MY TIME AND DOLLAR. You have no idea what someone's financial situation is.

It's obvious that you have a giving tree in your backyard where you can just pull cash off of it anytime you want. I have personally donated over $300 this year to charities and just happened to have a tight week due to starting a new job and my pay being delayed, etc. So yes, I am pissed off about 88 cents.

I could have used that money towards my mortgage that just went up because of increased escrow, or towards my kid's pulmonary specialist bills. So back the *** down.

@Anonymous

Some people, who are shopping at Rite Aid, struggle to get by themselves and they should not be tricked into giving money. That doesn't show integrity which leads me to wonder where the money really goes.

The manager told me some people don't realize they are not just signing up for one time. That is fraudulent if they are aware of this!

LadyScot
@Anonymous

Failure on the customer's part to read and pay attention to what they are signing is no excuse to label the store a fraud. In our pharmacy, people with insurance and/or a card must sign 2-3 times on the pad.

One for the HIPPA notice, one each for their insurance and their card. We tell them exactly what they are signing, and still, every dang time, after the HIPPA notice they always say I JUST SIGNED THAT.

No, if you shut up and listen and read, you would know what the heck you signed for.

@Anonymous

Hey *** bag it's a very shady Rite Aid that is at best is guilty of confusing their customers. I know no one asked me *** about making a donation.

No screen either. You must work there.

@Pittsburgh

To LadyScot and whomever agrees with this asinine shakedown,

I'm on Medicaid because I have End Stage Renal Disease and got a transplant at age 30. Medication costs approximately $2,000 a month.

I would say I'm a regular customer at Rite-Aid, not because I want to be but because I have to pick up various bundles of drugs to keep myself together. I literally take 18 pills a day and am in Rite Aid once a week AT LEAST. I go into the store, make sure the pharmacy gives me my various meds, enter my phone number for Plenti, jump through the hoops on the pad, sign my name and go. Once a week, month after month, year after year.

I have to be pretty conscientious to ensure I get what I need to keep myself straight. I don't ever recall any clerk or pharmacist asking me, 'Hey, we have a charity you've never heard of, it's supposed to help sick children, would you like us to give them your change from a dollar, no matter what that amount may be, in perpetuity, as long as you shop here and every single time you make a purchase? O.K., good. Just sign here once like the hundreds of times you've signed here before and we'll get that out of your way and you never have to think about that again." Who would do that?

Someone on a fixed income who has to be on Medicaid? I insure you, the answer is a resounding, "No". "So, get out of it", you may say. I've asked at the store twice and tried many times to go online and figure out how myself.

In a past life, I worked Help Desk as an Information Technology field agent. I know my way around a keyboard. Google how to opt out of Rite Aid Kid Cents. Go ahead, we'll wait...Can't find a clear answer?

The *** you say!! I feel like I've been shanghaied, ambushed and bushwhacked.

If time is money, maybe I should go to Rite-Aid at 5:45 on a Friday night and stand in the Pharmacy line and demand they get me out of Kid Cents, because last time I tried, no one seemed to know how to do it in the entire store. It's A SCAM!!

And they haven't stopped yet. I called them to stop it months ago....still going on...I have moved on.

My husband went to Riteaid to pick up a prescription, asked me if I had signed up for some charity of theirs, I said no, then he said that he was told by a customer there that they were rounding up her purchase amount for a charity she never asked to be part of & was furious.

He looked at his receipt & they had done the same.

This is absolutely fraudulent!

They should be sued.

I give generously to many charities & don't need to be scammed into giving to theirs! I hope they get burned for this!

I ALWAYS read the fine print and have NO recollection of opting in to this program. I frequently buy a candy bar or something under $2 and they are keeping about 70% of the sale for the charity.

I asked the cashier about it and told her I want out. She didn't know how to do it!! DON'T use your card if you go, but then you can't get the deals.

Total scammers. No way to run a charity!!!

Here is the low down. On the Rite Aid new Plenti card, you will up charged every time you shop there if you opted to donate to the KIDCENTS charity unless you tell them otherwise.

You can not get the sales without a Plenti card. Win/Win for Rite Aid. t wasn't easy - but I opted out of the program.

1) Consumer MUST sign up at Plenti.com (after agreeing to SHARE all personal info.) That stinks.

2) Consumer MUST then go to https://kidcents.riteaid.com/mychange and choose: ASK me every time (red bullet button)

Could RITE AID made it any more difficult? On the upshot, I downloaded my tax form, seems I was skimmed: $6.86 before I caught on.

You have to have your card, your PIN and submit all personal info in order to OPT OUT.

I really, really dislike how they are going about this program.

They did it to me too. I was charged a "donation" every time I shopped there and did not realize it until I had to return an item.

It is their own "charity".

I never opted in, I was never prompted to opt in, and no one else uses my card. Will not shop at Rite Aid anymore.

This IS the same thing as stealing. They take consumer's money, hold onto it for awhile as it generates interest, and they donate it---all the while taking the tax credit for "their" donation.

If you donate this way at a Rite Aid store, you cannot claim the tax deduction yourself. Awful.

@Anon

This is fraudulent. It's amazing that they never ask if you want to donate.

Then when you go on the website there is nothing on it to opt-out. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen

KevinRichards

You ruined the whole review by accusing them of being rude, telling you no is not the same as rudeness.

I don't mind giving to charity when asked, the way rite aid does it is like stealing from their customers.