3.8K views

Just got ripped off by them automatically rounding off to nearest dollar for some charity of theirs. Did not even ask me first like stores usually do and then refused to return my money when I realized they over charged me.

I have three charities I give to every year that I trust, I do not appreciate them automatically taking my money like that, and rude on top of it all.

Imagine if all stores started to do that! I will never shop there again plenty of other drugstores around!

Comments

@PissedConsumer1106191

Hey *** bag it's a very shady Rite Aid that is at best is guilty of confusing their customers. I know no one asked me *** about making a donation.

No screen either. You must work there.

@PissedConsumer1301749

To LadyScot and whomever agrees with this asinine shakedown,

I'm on Medicaid because I have End Stage Renal Disease and got a transplant at age 30. Medication costs approximately $2,000 a month.

I would say I'm a regular customer at Rite-Aid, not because I want to be but because I have to pick up various bundles of drugs to keep myself together. I literally take 18 pills a day and am in Rite Aid once a week AT LEAST. I go into the store, make sure the pharmacy gives me my various meds, enter my phone number for Plenti, jump through the hoops on the pad, sign my name and go. Once a week, month after month, year after year.

I have to be pretty conscientious to ensure I get what I need to keep myself straight. I don't ever recall any clerk or pharmacist asking me, 'Hey, we have a charity you've never heard of, it's supposed to help sick children, would you like us to give them your change from a dollar, no matter what that amount may be, in perpetuity, as long as you shop here and every single time you make a purchase? O.K., good. Just sign here once like the hundreds of times you've signed here before and we'll get that out of your way and you never have to think about that again." Who would do that?

Someone on a fixed income who has to be on Medicaid? I insure you, the answer is a resounding, "No". "So, get out of it", you may say. I've asked at the store twice and tried many times to go online and figure out how myself.

In a past life, I worked Help Desk as an Information Technology field agent. I know my way around a keyboard. Google how to opt out of Rite Aid Kid Cents. Go ahead, we'll wait...Can't find a clear answer?

The *** you say!! I feel like I've been shanghaied, ambushed and bushwhacked.

If time is money, maybe I should go to Rite-Aid at 5:45 on a Friday night and stand in the Pharmacy line and demand they get me out of Kid Cents, because last time I tried, no one seemed to know how to do it in the entire store. It's A SCAM!!

And they haven't stopped yet. I called them to stop it months ago....still going on...I have moved on.

My husband went to Riteaid to pick up a prescription, asked me if I had signed up for some charity of theirs, I said no, then he said that he was told by a customer there that they were rounding up her purchase amount for a charity she never asked to be part of & was furious.

He looked at his receipt & they had done the same.

This is absolutely fraudulent!

They should be sued.

I give generously to many charities & don't need to be scammed into giving to theirs! I hope they get burned for this!

I ALWAYS read the fine print and have NO recollection of opting in to this program. I frequently buy a candy bar or something under $2 and they are keeping about 70% of the sale for the charity.

I asked the cashier about it and told her I want out. She didn't know how to do it!! DON'T use your card if you go, but then you can't get the deals.

Total scammers. No way to run a charity!!!

Here is the low down. On the Rite Aid new Plenti card, you will up charged every time you shop there if you opted to donate to the KIDCENTS charity unless you tell them otherwise.

You can not get the sales without a Plenti card. Win/Win for Rite Aid. t wasn't easy - but I opted out of the program.

1) Consumer MUST sign up at Plenti.com (after agreeing to SHARE all personal info.) That stinks.

2) Consumer MUST then go to https://kidcents.riteaid.com/mychange and choose: ASK me every time (red bullet button)

Could RITE AID made it any more difficult? On the upshot, I downloaded my tax form, seems I was skimmed: $6.86 before I caught on.

You have to have your card, your PIN and submit all personal info in order to OPT OUT.

I really, really dislike how they are going about this program.

They did it to me too. I was charged a "donation" every time I shopped there and did not realize it until I had to return an item.

It is their own "charity".

I never opted in, I was never prompted to opt in, and no one else uses my card. Will not shop at Rite Aid anymore.

This IS the same thing as stealing. They take consumer's money, hold onto it for awhile as it generates interest, and they donate it---all the while taking the tax credit for "their" donation.

If you donate this way at a Rite Aid store, you cannot claim the tax deduction yourself. Awful.

@PissedConsumer936103

This is fraudulent. It's amazing that they never ask if you want to donate.

Then when you go on the website there is nothing on it to opt-out. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen

You ruined the whole review by accusing them of being rude, telling you no is not the same as rudeness.

I don't mind giving to charity when asked, the way rite aid does it is like stealing from their customers.

Look if use your wellness card the pin pad prompts you if you want to do it this time all the time or not at all either you or another family member pressed all the time. Your of they're fault not Riteaid. Remember if your friends or family use your wellness card they can opt you right back in

@PissedConsumer876528

I commented in September about this issue that I've been having when making purchases at Rite Aid. I can't think of a reason either of us (or anyone who is commenting about this) would lie about our respective experiences, so believe me when I say that I never see a prompt when I use my Wellness+ Card.

If the solution were already explained here or dictated clearly by Rite Aid or their employees, I doubt that this would be a common issue.

I am the only member of my family who shops at the local Rite Aid, or at any Rite Aid. It is my Wellness+ Card. Could it be that no prompt comes up if, instead of sliding/scanning our cards, we ask to simply enter in the phone number registered to said card? I am truly interested in finding a solution.

It is very irritating.

I want to trust Rite Aid and I don't want to change pharmacies. But this operation of theirs is poorly run and it (as well as some of the responses from alleged Rite Aid employees) does not show respect for the customer.

@PissedConsumer882810

Yes, I have the same problem. I didn't even realized it until one day I have an item to be returned and when I checked my rite aid receipt if the item I am going to return is in that particular receipt, I noticed another charged wheich is obviously not anything I will purchase.

What's so suspicious about it is becuse the charge on their charity is not placed at the end of your purchase but inserted among your other purchases, so it's not easy to spot unless you checked all your purchases against your receipt.

When I went to the store for my return I asked the sales clerk to refund the money I unknowly contributed to their charity and told them, this is my last time to shop in their store. I've haven't stepped in Rite Aide fromt hat time on.

@PissedConsumer876528

I paid cash today and wasn't asked to push anything on the pin pad or asked if id like to donate. It was very small so it's not worth my time to get it back but I Never agreed to this.

I'm a very giving person and really don't mind it being such a small amount but I never agreed to this Or asked and I pay cash so I didn't accidently press a button. Not cool Rite Aid

@PissedConsumer981262

We checked out at a Rite-Aid today and there was absolutely no question about donating on the machine where you slide your debit card. There was also no mention of it by the cashier.

But she still rounded up and took our money. We never opted into this particular charity, so I don't understand why people keep saying that if you opt into it you can't stop donating until you go back and opt out. If you really think about it, Rite Aid doing this almost every single customer means that they're making an insane amount of money off of this fraudulent policy.

And when I just looked at their website, it appears that pretty much anyone can become a kidcents arity that they will represent. And God only knows how much of that money they keep for themselves and for their executives.

I had the same issue at my Rite Aid. I finally realized I had been getting charged like this every time.

While I MAY have at some point accidentally opted in for "every time" instead of choosing"just this time," I certainly opted OUT the other day when a manager was assisting me. Then, just today, I looked at my receipt and saw that I had been charged in this manner once again. I know I did not ever opt back in or anything. If I can't get this to stop, I'll have to go somewhere else.

It feels very underhanded. If there's no way that the cashier is doing this themselves every time, then there's something else going on that isn't correct or straightforward. To "Rite Aid Employee": your customers are not idiots. I hope that you don't explain things this way in person.

Telling patrons that the issue would be solved if they could only just pay attention or "READ" is rather insulting. We wouldn't be here if we didn't do those things.

They don't automatically take the money. You have to opt into it but selecting "yes" when the option is presented. You may have accidentally done so, but the store does not automatically opt you in, nor is it something a cashier can do.

@PissedConsumer863562

Yes they do take it. We use the drive thru and have never opted in but they have begun to take their little cut regardless

@PissedConsumer863562

you are full of it...and probably an employee...it defaults to donating with NO option of opting out.

Rite Aid Reviews