3.8K views

Just got ripped off by them automatically rounding off to nearest dollar for some charity of theirs. Did not even ask me first like stores usually do and then refused to return my money when I realized they over charged me.

I have three charities I give to every year that I trust, I do not appreciate them automatically taking my money like that, and rude on top of it all.

Imagine if all stores started to do that! I will never shop there again plenty of other drugstores around!

Comments

@PissedConsumer863562

Yes, they do automatically take the money. We just checked all our receipts for Rite-Aid over the past year and that "donation" is on every one of them.

I'm pretty sure we would have noticed an opt-in option (like they do at Walgreens). I can't believe these clowns are getting away with this.

First off nobody stole your money or over charged you. On the pin pad when you check out if you READ it it will as you if you want to donate to kidcents.

It says no, yes this time or yes everytime. We as employees have no control over what you selected.

We cant round it up or charge you for it on our side. You did it because you didnt read it.

@PissedConsumer852208

In the Rite Aid store in Yelm, Washington, some register don't have that opetion to say no or yes. When the cashier scan your item, the register automatically round off your total purchases to the nearest dollar and the difference is charged to the charity.

If you pay without reading the small print on the small machine you swiped your credit/debit card in, you will unknowingly contribute to Rite Aid kids charity. I have not problem contributing to charities, but I have a problem with the way Rite Aid is collecting that contributions from their unsuspecting customers.

@PissedConsumer852208

No, in San Diego, CA I am not ASKED every time if I want to donate. I finally caught on. It was NOT EASY to opt out - and I am dismayed I wasn't ASKED AT ALL if I wanted to donate for LIFE to their “charity.” As it is, I'd love to see the numbers on how much is actually donated, and how much goes to administration of the program!

You didn't get ripped off. During each transaction, if you have a wellness+ card it will automatically on the register ask if you want to round up for kid cents.

If no one asks, then you might have accidentally chosen the "always round up" option before. In that case, just ask the cashier if you can decline the kid cents option and they should waiver it for you for future use :)

@PissedConsumer850098

Amen

@PissedConsumer853745

Yeah not sure if I believe this whole opt in process... I don't even have a wellness card and my charges are rounded up without being prompted.

So there was no opt on option for me.

Just automatically charged more. Awesome job Rite Aid!

Rite Aid Reviews